Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Fine wine?

Happy 25th birthday to me!

Well, technically I'm a day late, but I believe birthdays should be celebrated a whole week, I find it a little unfair to celebrate the day you were born in just....a day. I mean, stepping your (then tiny) foot into the world is a huge thing, isn't it? So if you were wondering how I celebrated my birthday, my lovely boyfriend and my gorgeous girlfriend (but in a non-sexual way) Maine planned a sweet little surprise party for me the night before at Redbox, Curve, because they know all of us are mic hoggers - plus, who doesn't love a karaoke session? And as I walked into the door and everyone shouted "Surprise!" while the cheesy 'Happy birthday' karaoke song came on, I felt genuinely touched and a tad bit embarrassed that these people were celebrating...me. It was the first time anyone every threw me a surprise party, so 'that fuzzy feeling' was overwhelming. To sum up the night, it was good food, good company, good cheesecake, cheesy boyband songs and girly pop music kind of fabulous. I loved every second of it.

Then yesterday at work, my mom called me and asked me to order pizza for a last minute makan-makan. My best friend in Perth had called up Secret Recipe (our hang out place everytime we didn't know where to go and were too broke to go shopping) and had a cake delivered to my house. Very very nice of her, if she were here I'd give her a big fat kiss on the cheek. So at the very last minute before I left my office, I called up Domino's and ordered SIX regular pizzas, with all the trimmings which came in the shape of chicken wings and coke bottles. My cousins who are back from Florida (but will be leaving again to Florida in a couple of days) were going to swing by, hence the six pizzas. BUT as soon as my other cousins (all seven of them) and the adults started filling up the house, I realised six pizzas were definitely not enough to feed the hungry crowd, so Yasir and I popped by KFC (while Rayyan - my one-year-old baby cousin slept on me) to round up buckets of originals and spicys. Rushed home, everyone grabbed some grub and out came Mar's cake - it felt like she was there with me, in the form of a coffee cheese cake (or was it tiramisu? either way, it was DELICIOUS). Minus the fact that she was sliced and gobbled up by my hungry family, of course.

After dinner, the cousins and the fiance (Farah's fiance to be exact, Faliq - they're both YOUNGER than me btw) and my boyfriend gathered around and decided to play Hello Jack; a party card game where you have to act out certain actions when certain cards came out. Of course, chaos ensued - my family is loud to begin with, but a noisy card game takes it to a whole new level! When the 'joker' card came out and we all had to jump up and prance about while making 'joker' faces, I almost peed in my pants. Everyone finally went home at almost 2am.

I think birthdays are there to remind us to be thankful about what we have - the boyfriend that loves you even with your random tantrums, fabulous friends you've had in your life since forever or friends who have just recently walked into your life, the noisy cousins, my cute grandparents, my mom, my MIA sister who is now in Norway working hard for the government..and not forgetting my cats, who are constantly hungry, but go up to my room on most mornings and curl with me on my bed to sleep. Birthdays are that one day evey year that lets you know how people appreciate you being around, so they go out of their way to celebrate the day you were born. And that's a very, very cool feeling.

Thanks, guys.

3 comments:

Yasir said...

aww thanks sayang. eventhough you knew we were throwing u a surprise party... i love you

shamaine said...

glad you enjoyed it...nak karaoke lagi.....

mar,if you're reading this..dec 20th i better get a cake too..heheeh

Unknown said...

aainaa,

does that mean your birthday is on the 4th of august?

goodness,

WE HAVE THE SAME BIRTHDATE!!

oh, God works mysterious ways..


happy birthday girl