Saturday, June 18, 2011

The delivery.

I've been putting this post off for awhile now, but I'd like to reminisce everything that happened, before my scatterbrain self forgets everything. It was such a lengthy experience, so I'll have to break down what happened into different posts, so I don't just rush into everything. Plus a little cliffhanger adds a little suspense, don't you think?

Okay, here we go.



I was in my 39th week and Yasir and I decided to have me induced. Apparently Ayden was already 3.39kgs then and to lessen the risk of having to go through a c-section from him being too big, we decided it was best to do so. So off we went to Prince Court Medical Centre on the evening of April 10th 2011. I was nervous, but I also felt like I was in a half daze. I was a tad bit in denial about the fact that I would be pushing a baby out of me - really, how do you mentally prepare yourself for that?



So we checked into a single room, with my mother accompanying us. I even managed to skype with kakak and Dicky after I had changed into the hospital gown. A nurse came in and told me that she was going to start the induction at 8pm by inserting a pill called Cervidil. 8pm, it all starts, I remember bracing myself. I watched the clock on the wall like a hawk, nervous about what was going to unfold, but reassuring myself that everything would be fine. I even got out Ayden's onezie and placed it by my pillow to remind myself that soon I would be meeting my son.



Yasir's parents came by around 7pm. I remained calm and cool, chatting with my in-laws despite induction just being an hour away. Finally, 8pm rolled around. The nurse came into the room and everyone waited outside leaving only me and Yasir. The nurse was lovely, she explained that she was going to push the pill deep inside my uterus so it may get a tad bit uncomfortable. She told me to relax so it wouldn't hurt. I held Yasir's hand and looked at him the whole time she got 'all up in there' and inserted the pill. It wasn't so bad, I thought after she had finished, breathing a sigh of relief. Uncomfortable, sure, but not as bad as i had imagined. The nurse told me another nurse will come to check me at 2am to see if I had dilated, and if I hadn't, another Cervidil would be inserted.



I was instructed to lay still for about half an hour so the pill won't fall out should I get up and walk. So I laid in the hospital bed as my in-laws came back into the room, resuming our chit-chat. After we exchanged hugs and they wished me well, my in-laws left and I walked around the hospital to help speed up the labour process. I was feeling very mild contractions but nothing major. Finally, my mom and Yasir said it was best I conserve my energy and rest in bed, so we went back to the room.



Around 2am a nurse came in to check if I was dilated. To put it simply, this 'checking process' involves her shoving her fingers waaaaay up in my vagina and feeling around. I found myself struggling to relax a little, this time. You're 1cm dilated, she told me. 1cm. I guess it's better than nothing, I thought. I'll dilate faster after this, I'm sure, I told myself. She inserted another Cervidil and told me to get some rest.



So we switched off all the lights and Yasir and my mom settled in for the night. Of course, I was far from sleepy. My contractions started getting pretty intense then, and I breathed through each 'wave' in the dark as I reached for Yasir's hand beside me and gripped it tightly. Finally, around 5am, I felt something 'pop' and water started gushing out in between my legs and onto the bed. It was certainly weird, feeling like you were peeing without the ability to stop. In the dark, as water spilled onto the sheets, I said loudly to Yasir, "Sayang! My water broke! My water broke!"



TO BE CONTINUED.






Sloppy kisses,




Aainaa

No comments: