Monday, May 26, 2008

Like mother...not like daughter.



I've always wanted to be like my mom. Maybe it's because by the time she was my age, she managed to snag herself a husband and pop out two kids. And so growing up I've always thought I'd be the young blushing bride, to be wed by the time she was 24 and have three kids before any sign of crow's feet or any other godforsaken wrinkle started rearing its ugly head. I mean it was my goal in life to be a MILF. I saw myself slim, in a hot MILF-inspired outfit, with little kids running around me. All immaculately dressed. People around me would go "How does she have three kids and still manage to keep slim?" This would be my cue to look at them, shrug, give a coy smile and say demurely, "I suppose it's the beauty of marrying young," pause a second just for good measure... and then wink.

So I was 24 last year. There was no (garden) wedding and no sign of a (Tiffany & Co princess cut diamond) wedding ring on my finger. And I know I won't be married when 26 rolls around either. Yes that dream of becoming a MILF is still there. It's dusty, filled with cobwebs, sure, but it's never too late. You can still be a MILF at 35. Just use a very good anti-ageing cream, no problem. But what I do mind, is my family acting as if I'm 40 and still unmarried. I specifically remember my mom crying, dusting her mirror table, saying something about how she would like to see her daughters settling down, in between sniffles. Or when she tells me her friend's son's wife just gave birth and how another friend's daughter is getting married while giving me "that look". Do you know the MSN emoticon of the smiley rolling its eyes? That's the look.

If I could go back in time, I would tell my younger self to let go of that 'young bride' dream and not feel pressured to tie the knot young just because my mother did. And then maybe I wouldn't feel a tad bit disappointed that I'm 25 and nowhere near married. There's no such thing as a perfect 'marrying' age - you could be 40 and still not feel ready to get married. And you shouldn't. You might as well stay a bachelorette at 45 and be happy, rather than go to bed at night beside your husband feeling empty inside - something I am absolutely terrified of.

To my future daughter(s)/son(s), marry only when you've found The One you're 110 percent sure will treat you right, adore you wholeheartedly, respect you and love you with all your flaws. Marry someone you WANT to spend the rest of your life with, to start a family with. Someone you love with your whole heart.

Whether at 24 or 44.

No comments: