Tuesday, July 21, 2009

crybaby

As I'm writing this, I'm wiping away just a wee tiny tear (okay, maybe not soo tiny) from having watch a mother give birth on the Discovery Home and Health channel (733 for those of you who are clueless). Man, I'm such a sucker. What is it with me and feeling overwhelmed witnessing the moment a mother holds her newborn baby in her arms? I swear, I get choked up every single time. Even that friends episode where Rachel held her baby, I could feel this weird feeling in my chest! I suppose I get emotional, imagining what it must feel like to finally meet this creature that has been kicking around in your stomach for the past 9 months, knowing that you're solely responsible for this tiny little being's life from now on. The feeling must be too overwhelming and big for words, something you've never felt, or even come close to feeling before. Only at that very moment as you're holding your newborn baby, all sweaty and achy from pushing can you experience what other mothers have gone through...all the pain just melts away for an instant when you cradle YOUR baby in the nook of your arm and come to terms that you are indeed, now a mother. Wow, imagine what that must feel like...

Some people find it weird that I have such strong maternal instincts, considering that I have the tendency to look like your typical 'party girl'. Maybe one day, I might show my kids my 'party girl' pics and they might think their naggy and saggy ol' mom was quite hip back in the day and actually listen to me when I tell them they don't have to smoke or drink to have fun. I've got my line memorised down pat: "Tengok mama dulu, I didn't have to drink or smoke even if everyone around me was doing it! Mama tahu, your friends will be pressuring you to drink. You really don't have to give into peer pressure, people will respect your principles if you are adamant on standing by them!" Then this is when I give them the best advice "Besides, why spend money on alcohol and ciggs when you can shop, betul tak?? Common sense!"

sloppy kisses.

p/s: The boy on the Discovery Learning Channel promo on Astro (the one where it's a montage of kids - mostly girls from CBN for some strange reason) who says something about wanting to build a big house so his mother and father can live in it gets me...every. single. friggin. time. Sniff. Must be that time of the month again.

No comments: