Monday, July 27, 2009

I'm a Kak, hear me roar!!!

In slightly more than a week from now, I'll be 26. I guess I'll only freak out when I hit 40. For now, I'm cool being almost 26. What's interesting though, is that salespeople tend to call me "kak" now. Somehow within the past 1 year, I've graduated from a "dik" to a kak. This is a little bit depressing when I think about it, because obviously, I look older than I used to. Must start using anti-ageing. Anyway, everytime someone calls me Kak, I fight the urge to turn around and look behind me. I'm so used to people thinking I'm still studying, possibly in my early twenties. In Melbourne, someone actually thought I was fifteen. No joke. Of course at the time she was trying to sell something and me looking fifteen is complete utter bullshit, but I was pretty pleased.

Today, while I was out loaning, I think a total of 3 people called me "Kak". Honestly, i'm having mixed feelings to this newfound status. On one hand, I'm glad salespeople take me seriously now and think I have money to buy that Tiffany & Co necklace I'm drooling over in the glass display(even when I don't), but on the other hand, reality is hitting me hard in the ass and I realise by the beard of Zeus, I AM older than most salespeople now! I'm going to be in my Mid-twenties! It's like how Angelina Jolie was the hottest thing in Hollywood then, but now she's just.....old. Okay, maybe not such a good example, but you know what I mean.

So I vow to myself, as I turn 26 and hit my mid-twenties, that I will accept my newfound 'Kak' status with grace. Next time a salesgirl calls me Kak, I'm going to let it wash over me and embrace it. I, 'Aainaa, am officially a Kak, and proud of it. If I'm feeling especially 'Kak'-ish, I'll call the salesperson "Dik" too, might be fun.

If anything, it could be worse - at least I'm not a 'Makcik' yet. Now THAT'S a whole different story.

8 comments:

shamaine said...

if someone makciks you, punch that person.

love you kak.

myazarith... said...

hahaha,, aainaa for org malaysia, kak mean respect not because you old. even the person calling u look like mid 40. hahahah love your blog too akak...(sound goodlah)..

Yasir said...

funny post sayang... how come no one calls me bang yet??

linda said...

yes, i setuju dengan myazarith, sumtime plp panggil kita kak because of respect... u look young aainaa.. dun worry,

Nayamaus said...

OMG the horrors of being called a makcik!! I know we're decades away from THAT but I swear I will kill anyone who calls me that!, even if I AM a makcik at 50 nanti..!!!

AainaaRibena said...

hahahaha wonder if this blog will still be around when I'm a 'makcik'.

mya: but before this they called me dik, now kak? :/ doesnt that mean i look older? haha

sayang: you HATE it when I call you bang!!! hahaha

Edwan said...

in january i'll be 27 ..hows dat..OMG ..3yrs time i will be.......deeymmn!

aunty ezy said...

ive graduated to makcik now....arrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh...u dont want to go there...would prefer to be called aunty even though it means the same thing...it is just makcik sounds OLD!!!