Thursday, October 21, 2010

The mom dresscode.

So I've been pondering lately, what exactly am I supposed to wear now that I am with child? Am I expected to dress like a mom? What do moms wear anyway? If it's one thing I'm NOT wearing, it's mom jeans. Ohmygod. It just hit me - mom jeans are actually high waisted jeans, and now that I'm going to be a mom, I'll be automatically regarded as wearing 'mom jeans' should I decide to wear high waisted jeans, wouldn't I?! Thank god I could never carry off high waisted jeans anyway - I just look like a sausage with a face.

Yesterday as I was kissing my datuk goodbye to head off to watch the play, he made a curt comment after looking me up and down. "Why are you wearing such a short dress? You're pregnant tau 'Aainaa! You're going to be a mother!"

Ouch.

Sure, my dress was a tad bit short, and I couldn't bend over without flashing the world my undies (which, by the way, was a great deal at RM10 for three! Yeah, I've switched to cotton. See I'm making progress!), but am I supposed to start dressing 'mumsy' now that I'm pregnant? Just so you know, my dress was short, but I was wearing an oversized blazer over it, so it's not like I looked like I was about to go clubbing. Of course in the future, I'm not going to pull a Pamela Anderson and prance around in hot pants and cropped tops, but can't I pull out a short dress once in a while? What about a cute little playsuit? Would I be in over my head if I say no to tent tops and keep my clothes flattering? It's bad enough that I haven't worn my heels in AGES (god rest their poor soles) but now I'll have to start dressing mum-like? I should start wearing long sleeved t-shirts and trackshoots (the malay equivalent of tracksuits), shouldn't I??

Sorry, of course there are other mum-ariffic outfits out there other than tracksuits and t-shirts, but I'm a bit upset if I'm expected to sacrifice my personal style just because I'm going to be a mother. Sure, I'll make adjustments here and there...I'll probably choose a longer dress over a shorter one, and pants (stylish ones please) over skirts more often, but if it's one thing that makes me feel like myself, it's wearing an outfit which makes me feel good. And I know, once this baby comes, and I am finally a mother, my whole world will be wrapped around this tiny little being. So I think it's only fair that I am allowed to keep pieces of my old self, even if it comes in the form of clothing. Just because I take the time to look good doesn't make me a bad mom, in fact, I'm sure it makes me a better one.

I'm sure some of you will probably scoff and say "Wait till she becomes a mother, she won't have the time and energy to bother about clothes". Maybe you're right. But when that time comes, I'll have to remember not to lose myself and my personality, trudging around in sweats just because I'm caring for my little one. I'll probably struggle to find myself again, but by god, I'm DETERMINED to. I might not rank as a MILF, but I'll come pretty darn close. And that's the promise I'm making to myself, right here, right now. I'll wear my 4 inch heels again one day, just you wait!!! Role models : Kourtney Kardashian and Kimora Lee Simmons.

That's it, I'm putting Marie France Bodyline on speed dial.

17 comments:

Matiin said...

Me thinks your dress last night was pweetttyyy~ :D

shamaine said...

babes, datuk was just being datuk. you can still wear your short dresses :)

Anonymous said...

why is it such a big deal? just wear whatever you want! not worth a blogpost.

AainaaRibena said...

Hi, I can write about my butt crack if you want me to? Then maybe you'd find that a worthy blogpost :)

Anonymous said...

ok, obviously you have low self esteem so go ahead and divulge personal details publicly

Anonymous said...

hey anonymous, wth is your problem? No one pointed a gun to your head and told you to read her blog! Feel free to leave. For you to give rude comments on someone else's blog (which by the way, is a personal thing, so she can write whatever the hell she wants) says something about your self-esteem doesn't it? Now shut the fuck up before she goes and makes it private again.

shamaine said...

Ko apehal anonymous? Nak cari gaduh?
Eleh nak komen tapi takut nak letak nama...pundek betul..dah blog dia biarlah dia nak tulis apa yang dia nak...ko kecoh apasal?

AainaaRibena said...

HAHAHAHA

Anonymous said...

Got balls not?senyap terus. If you think its not worth a blog post, then why are you here in the first place? Kunun smartass but apparently not so smart afterall.

Shiks said...

-shiks. Yes I aint anonymous!

Anonymous said...

dah blog dia public, aku pun boleh cakap sukati aku ah. dia tulis, aku komen! pegi mampos ah, kritik sikit pon nak kecoh!! kalo tak leh terime, duduk rumah sorang2 & diam2 sket, jangan nak jual diri sendiri dengan blog! ni nak melaram 24 jam, buat orang nak muntah! ya allah tolonglah sedarkan minah syok sendiri ni AMIN

shamaine said...

anonymous, whatever..but your comments kan, i rasa kan...... not worth a comment post!

p.s. buat penat je mak bapak kau kasi nama...

AainaaRibena said...

Anonymous, ko cakap "pergi mampuslah" to a pregnant person? Seriously, siapa yang kena "sedar diri" ni? Tak malu ke? Fikir dulu before u bukak mulut u tu.

Yasir Yusoff said...

woi pundek. dont disrespect my wife.

kalau kau tak suke her blog, then don't read it. simple.

Yasmin ♥ said...

Anonymity is so 2008 and late! Your mum would obviously throw a bitchfit if she knew she gave birth to a pussy of a blog stalker. Yes you.

If you dont like what you see, dont have to say anything, just shut that trap.

Unknown said...

woo hooo! K.G. siaaaaalll!! mesti dia tu burok LOL

BIL said...

I love catfights, the only reason I read blogs..heheheh