Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Nasi lemak (tak) best.

Why the hell is it so hard to find good nasi lemak nowadays?? Last weekend, I was craving for nasi lemak with kerang, and I know I was probably being a pain in the arse (okay, I was DEFINITELY being a pain in the arse, judging from my husband's face), but I wanted this specific type of sambal..you know, the sweet-tasting type. I mean, for me, sambal makes or breaks the nasi lemak..you can pile on the chicken, paru-paru, sotong, kerang, kambing, alligator balls, but if the sambal is crap, then...FAIL. Some of the plainest nasi lemak, which come only with a pathetic excuse of an egg taste really good because the sambal is slammin'. Really.

Back to last weekend. So I sent Yasir out for a nasi lemak hunt at 9am (when else can you get your nasi lemak right?) I specifically told him, "Sayang, please beli nasi lemak with kerang, and sambal yang sedap, manis-manis!" He comes to Keramat half an hour later, with a huge ass brown packet. There I am, licking my lips the whole time while 'unwrapping' this monster of a packet, anticipating what I was about to devour. I probably looked like a greedy pregnant woman. I was. So as soon as I unwrap it, I stare at it for three seconds. And then I look at Yasir.

"Where's my kerang?"

"That place takde kerang. So I took paru instead." says Yasir. Innocently.

Yasir, Yasir, Yasir. I love the boy to death, don't get me wrong, but paru is certainly not kerang. Paru does not taste like kerang, nor does it look like kerang. Paru is dry, and kerang is...wet. Or something like that. Paru is from an animal, while kerang is from...the sea. If I had wanted paru, I would have said, "Sayang please get PARU. Not kerang. PARU." But I didn't, did I? I taste the sambal, and it tastes bland. Sigh. So a minute later, I'm calling up everyone I know to ask where the FUCK (excuse the swearing, but at this point that was the only thing I felt like doing) do I get nasi lemak with kerang and sambal yang manis-manis.

Five minutes later, Yasir is out the door again, this time to get KERANG and to find GOOD sambal.

When he reaches home, I say a little prayer (though I think the poor boy was praying harder than I was)...and open the packet. Kerang, check. I taste a little of the sambal. Not great, but better than before. And at this point, I know I couldn't send Yasir out a third time, that would just be harsh! I take a spoonful.

THE RICE WAS HALF COOKED. &&^#^&$^&&*^$%@*

Who likes half cooked nasi lemak, angkat tangan!!!!!

Sigh. In the end, I ended up not eating that morning. I wasn't being picky, even mama agreed that the rice was half cooked and grainy!

The next morning, my stepdad decided to tackle the problem and buy nasi lemak. Again, the sambal was CRAP.

I think I'm going to boycott nasi lemak from now on. End of story.

* No husbands were harmed during the event that took place.

12 comments:

Syad said...

Hey Aainaa.. Ask Yasir to buy Nasi Lemak Mak Wanjor in Kg Baru.. its next to Nasi Lemak Antarabangsa.. Sambal manis-manis.. then get the kerang from either Nasi Lemak Antarabangsa or ask him to walk down to the end of the road.. and get lauk kerang from the stall at the far end. Next to d kedai roti canai.

Ermm.. am i putting my self at a risk recommending this to u? hahaha.. :p

cheers!

shamaine said...

the nasi lemak at my house hari tu?

AainaaRibena said...

THANKS SYAD!!! You may be putting yourself at risk, a little bit, but don't worry, I don't know where you live! hahaha. But seriously, thanks for the recommendation - should've called you up last weekend instead, and save yasir all the trouble! hahah

AainaaRibena said...

maine, nasi lemak you sedap, but i wanted my kerang. And can you imagine had I called you up and demanded you tell your mom to make nasi lemak for me?? hahahaha gila!

Nazneen Zainal Abidin said...

Have you tried Nasi Lemak Boss at Naan Corner?
xx

AainaaRibena said...

Nasi lemak boss? I think that's the one yasir bought with the paru..he bought it at Nan Corner!

Nazneen Zainal Abidin said...

really? LOL! I haven't been home for a while so I don't know whether it is still as good as it used to be. But I used to love the kerang.

I'll ask my mom nanti where to find nice nasi lemak cos she's great with food! :)

AainaaRibena said...

hahaha thanks! I need a few alternative places..you know what they say, cari sampai dapat!

nadiya said...

Aainaa,
U should try nasi lemak pasar taman tun, upstairs.. U go all the way till the end, then turn right. Its next to the mamak stall tht sells roti canai.
So far.. Its the best jalil n I hv tried.

Also, my sis n aunts all say u shud try to avoid kerang or unfried/grilled seafood during ur 1st trimester. Just to make sure baby n u ok :)

eduardo said...

nasi lemak at pandan jaya is sedap, sambal manis..kerang need to check again. ask yasir to call me up incase he gets in this situation AGAIN.

AainaaRibena said...

nadiya: thanks for the suggestion. Will defo try check it out, maybe this weekend. And you're right about the kerang, wasn't too sure at first, coz someone else told me it's okay to makan, so was a bit confused! Tunggu second trimester then I'll eat me some kerang!!

Eduardo: hahahaha mesti you kesian yasir. Ok, he'll call you up in case anything happens!!

Unknown said...

Nasi lemak kak ton infront of my condo, but it will be darn too far just to get a packet of nasi lemak no? eek :/