Thursday, September 16, 2010

Where have all the good horror movies gone?

I'm a self-confessed horror movie junkie. And is it just me, but lately most of the scary movies out there are, to put it simply, absolute crap? Sigh. I've shelled out hundreds of ringgit hoping to watch a good horror movie at the cinema, just to be disappointed again and again. What happened to quality, scary movies like The Exorcist? I suppose it's because audiences today have seen anything and everything when it comes to horror...nothing scares us anymore! Years ago, the thought of a ghost disguised in a clown suit would scare the shit out of most of us and haunt us in our dreams, but nowadays, a plot like that might just be a recipe for laughs. Demon in a child's body? Yawn. Child ghosts never really scared me anyway. Asian female ghost with long black hair and white dress? So what else is new. Even possessed chicks don't do it anymore. GAH.

So when my brother-in-law bbm-ed me and told me he watched M. Night Shyamalan's new movie, Devil last night and thought I might like it, I got a little bit excited. Then I remembered that my sister and him are both scaredy cats, so what may seem scary to them might seem 'blah' to me. I youtubed the trailor..and yep, it already looks like a disappointment.

But, as usual, I'm shelling out my 12 bucks anyway! Here's hoping!

20/9/10 update: Not too bad, though definitely not scary, it was rather entertaining. Even my nausea was put on hold during the spooky scenes. Not what you're looking for if you prefer an in-your-face hantu movie..this one's rather tame. It might keep you guessing though. Watch if you have nothing better to do on the weekend.

1 comment:

Mariam Shah said...

you used to drag me to go watch with you and you loved seeing me get scared and I used to curse you so much for making me so scared and made me lose my sleep... gawd I miss you..