Monday, July 21, 2008

Am-bitch-ious


I've always wanted to have my own business. It's a bit strange, considering I come from a family with NO business background. My mother however, keeps on insisting that selling insurance (she's a part time insurance agent) IS a business. But I'm not talking about part-time selling, I'm talking about the real deal. I'm talking about starting from scratch, bloodsweatandtears, your own idea/product business. And some people say that if you're toying with the idea of starting your own business, having a family with ZERO business background is already a disadvantage in itself. And I can now safely say that this rumour is actually true. Although my mother is a business lecturer (how ironic is that?) she lacks the hands-on knowledge that is valuable for every starting entrepreneur who wants to listen about personal experience. So now I'm turning to books like 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Starting Your Own Business', 'Think rich and grow rich' or business advice on the web. Hey, you've gotta start somewhere right?

And after doing some research, I've realised one common advice coming from all these resources - to start your own business, you've got to want it SO BAD, to an extent where you may even be
OBSESSED with it. You've got to have this burning desire in you, to fuel you to take that giant leap. Let's face it - a lot of us are chicken shit to start something of our own, in fear of failure. Our own mind is the first major obstacle we have to overcome - and this obstacle alone is enough to make you stick to your desk job year after year, because it's safe. There's nothing wrong with a desk job, but for those who have always DREAMT of having something of their own and being their own boss, the fear of failing is a tough one to conquer. I, myself, am a competitive bitch, for lack of a better term. I hate losing. And FAILING is something that I know may potentially crush me. But I know that I'm willing to accept failure and grow from it. I know that having your own business is nowhere near a walk in the park. Things will happen that will cause you to tear your hair out or bang your head against a wall. But I'm so obsessed with wanting my own business, that I'm willing to wear a wig after I tear all my hair out, pop some band-aids on those scars on my forehead and start where I left off.

But business talk aside,
the mind is a terrible thing. It is the single, most dangerous obstacle you could have, standing in between your current unsatisfying job and actually doing something you're passionate about - something you know that would be so much more fulfilling in your life. It doesn't have to be about earning a lot of money at all. I was having dinner with my friend Shamaine the other night and she told me of her dream of moving to Greece and working in a hotel, at the front desk. I also know people who travel to other countries to teach English to kids. These people aren't paid a lot. They may not have that glow that rich people get from using expensive facial creams or makeup, but they've certainly got that inner glow that comes through because they've experienced something so fulfilling in life. And it's this glow that I aspire to achieve.

If you're one of those rare people who is doing a job that they love, then consider yourself extremely lucky. But if you're like me and you know you've got so much more to offer and you could be doing something more rewarding, something that
feels right, then you'll know where I'm coming from. Everyone knows the saying 'life is short' or 'you only live once', so why do we insist on doing something we're not passionate about, day in and day out? I'm not talking about quitting your day job right this instant - but I am talking about ACTUALLY doing it one day. You know that if you don't take that leap, you will possibly never forgive yourself. You're willing to overcome your fears, to overcome your insecurities and you ARE going to take that first step. You know there's no other way, but to act on your dreams. In my case, it's buying every book on business, deciding what business I plan to do, talking to other entrepreneurs about their experiences, meeting a financial advisor - and that's not even the tip of the iceberg. There's no doubt that there's A HECK OF A LOT to do, but I already have the PASSION and the DETERMINATION to want to achieve my goals. And its these characteristics alone that tell me that already, I have the makings of a successful businesswoman.



1 comment:

shamaine said...

You will have that business one day and I will be showing tourists around Mykonos!