Thursday, July 31, 2008

This is a happy post #5

I know all my previous 'happy posts' are of the little things in life that make me smile, but I just got off the phone a few seconds ago with my best friend Mariam, who's working in Perth right now and she mentioned something which has made me ecstatic. So she calls me and starts talking about this Singaporean guy who she's gotten to know over the past few months..how he's met her family and gets along so well with them, how they text and call each other constantly - just a brief summary of what's been going on. This pretty much brings us to the highlight of our conversation about her relationship with Zuhairi (we don't normally speak in Malay but she was in her office at the time) :

Mar: ...jadi kita dah bersama (so we're together now).

Me: Jap jap jap jap jap (wait wait wait wait wait)....what? Wait ..wait...wait (yes, obviously that's the only thing I say on repeat when I'm shocked about something)

Mar: Okay.

Me: Jap....you're saying you're together? Like together?

Mar: (laughing) yes!

Me: Wait, like boyfriend girlfriend together?

Mar: YES!

Me: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Right. So before you assume I'm overreacting, I don't think I am. Because this is the first Malay boy Mariam has dated in donkey years. This girl has seen Indians, Arabs and White Dudes. No, I'm not being racist, hear me out. There' s absolutely nothing wrong with dating other races, of course not - my friend Zara is married to a Mat Salleh and happily living in SCOTLAND. But there is something wrong with the relationship, when religions collide and both partners have to go separate ways after they've been together for years - I've been with Mar through these trying times in her life and this girl has endured so much. I've cried with her when she's crying on my shoulder, I've listened to her pour her heart out every single time, fighting for her relationship when she knows it's almost a dead end, and then ending it because she knows it's the right thing to do. This girl has been through everything; she's been broken a few times, she's given herself selflessly in relationships and she's had her heart stepped on again and again...and you know what the amazing thing is? She gets up and she's not afraid to love again after all that heartache.

Mar,

You are the one person who I really feel deserves all the love and happiness in the world. I'm so happy for you, sayang. Zuhairi, if you're reading this, take care of her for me will you...she's a keeper.

Love you, babes.

2 comments:

shamaine said...

Hahaha I was about to say the same thing..hehehe

but YEAY FOR MAR!!

AainaaRibena said...

ooops my bad! sorry my darling. But you are happily married, I got that bit right didn't I? heh heh