Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What's your beauty fix?

So, this post is special. It may seem 'un'special but trust me, it's special. I'm not letting you people know YET why it's so special (that's four 'specials' so far) but you'll know why soon. Let's just say it's the first of many more to come, as I'm testing out the waters of all things 'beauty' related. Wink. Shamaine, hush yo' mouth, girl! Haha. Anyway, I'm on the prowl for good makeup after realising I can't keep on digging into my already dried up foundation bottle and swirling my brush into an almost non-existent compact blusher. And with so many products out there to choose from, one can get overwhelmed when faced with the smorgasboard of goodies promising to turn you from plain jane to bombshell vixen in one application. And in the end, some of us may just grab a product which is pricey, yet totally unworthy of us spending almost half our paycheck on, which is something we all want to avoid, I'm sure. Thus, I find that getting personal recommendations from friends about beauty products is always your best bet (and also a quick shortcut) when makeup shopping. Admittedly, I'm not an expert at the art of 'warpaint', but I'll share what I know. Here are my top picks:

Loreal True Match foundation - This one is possibly the best out of the best of your drugstore makeup choices. If you're on a budget then look no further. I've tried A LOT of foundations (those which don't cost more than RM60 of course) and I've had too thick, too thin, runny, cakey, everything you can imagine. This foundation simply disappears into your skin upon application and won't look like you have a mask on. So slap it on, sisters!

Bloom Liquid Eyeliner (jet black) - Everyone knows I can't LIVE without my eyeliner, like how Cleopetra probably couldn't live without hers. Okay, straight-up, there's a pro and a con with this eyeliner. I like to start with the con, so the pro may just suggest it not to be that big a deal after all. Con : very strong when you line your eyes, so you risk caking up your eyelashes. You may need to have tissues at hand to wipe it off your lashes ASAP, or you may look like you have a very dodgy brand of fake eyelashes on
(possibly one for drag queens) . Eye-makeup remover would also do the trick, but be careful you don't wipe off your eyeliner, because I know what a bitch that can be, especially if you've managed to achieve a perfect line, after only four hours. Pro : Honey, you can scream, cry, jump, hang upside down, go swimming with the sharks, make-out - whatever you feel like doing, this eyeliner will be your companion without as much as a smudge. Men may think of abandoning you, but this eyeliner never will. I know, very random, but whatever.

*Tip : Use a liquid liner for your top lid and a pencil eyeliner to line the bottom of your eyes. Recommended pencil eyeliner which won't give you panda eyes : MAC powerpoint eye pencil in 'Engraved'.

Okay, you know what, I'll leave all of you with those two for now. I don't want to be a bore, and those of you who don't give a twat about makeup are probably snoring by now. But I'd love to find out about the products YOU swear on, because I'm thinking of re-stocking my makeup bag. Don't be stingy and share share share share!

sloppy kisses!

p/s: Anyone know a REALLY good hair straightening iron? And please don't say GHD - mine was screwy.






7 comments:

Nazneen Zainal Abidin said...

hey,

I just came across your blog. Anyway, I think Remington wet to dry is one of the best, besides GHD. hehe.
And, on beauty products, I love Napoleon's minimal makeup foundation. It looks very natural as if you're not wearing any foundation on the skin =) Napoleon's products are very very good. I totally love it.
xoxo

AainaaRibena said...

hey!

Yeah I've got napolean, the small tube that hides pores and makes your skin silky smooth. Thanks for reminding me! :) Remington wet to dry eh? Okay, will defo keep that in mind.

xoxo

AainaaRibena said...

btw, I miss Melbourne. UGH. :(

shamaine said...

i have Rimmel eyeliner..it's good..but very fragile...the pencil just falls into crumbs now...if u know what i mean

King Shen said...

i use biore's anti-acne facial wash for men. Not only does it keep the skin spores from clogging up, it also releases an manly scent which keeps me going thru the day.

Biore.. "cause im worth it".

AainaaRibena said...

hahahahaha to shen's comment :P

Stella Matilda said...

A great eyeliner never crumbs when it falls to the ground. I have Rimmel products before, and i thought it was low quality as it wouldn't last and it has a very weird chemical smell in it... I only bought it in london because it was model by Kate Moss... lol!

Then, that's when i found out about Christian Dior and have became a true Dior make-up user. I love the lipstick (esp Dior Addict code 142, which is out of stock now... argghh!!!!), the eye shadows and most of all, the famous "eyeliners". Eyeliners by Christian Dior is the best in the world, and not only me agrees to it. Check out this website for the Top 7 best eyeliners in the world http://beauty.about.com/cs/eyemakeup/tp/eyeliners.htm

I have been using Dior for almost 4 years and its so hard to find other brands which can be better than Dior. I swear all my model friends started to use Dior after they test using my eyeliner, even my girlfriends! lol! You all gotta try it and then you will understand what i mean...

Dior eyeline the first time i bought was only RM58, and now the price has increased to RM68, and RM72 and some at RM86. It will never crumbs no matter how many zillion times it dropped to the ground. Its ever lasting and will never gives your those oily panda effect lol!

xoxo Stella Matilda