Thursday, February 24, 2011

Bio Oil and Pureen Stretch Mark Lotion review

People review makeup products, I review stretch mark lotions/oils. That's probably because the last time I bought myself makeup, humans still lived in caves and men dragged their dinner back home to roast over a fire (seriously, you should see my Laura Mercier compact. It has died and gone to makeup heaven, but I'm still in denial). So today, boys and girls, I am going to shed some light on these two products that I've been alternatively using for the past 8 months. Exciting!

First up, Bio Oil:


So, this baby ain't a stranger to the 'stretchmark' scene and claims to be a miracle worker at keeping the bad boys at bay. I've only started using this into my seventh month of pregnancy, because I had drained my Pureen lotion (more on that later) to the very last dollop.

Application : This goes on pretty oily, not going to lie. I usually dot it on straight out of the shower (after a good rub down with the towel of course) and smooth this all over my belly. What it does is sit on the skin - it doesn't really 'sink' upon application, and stays a tad bit oily almost throughout half the day. What I would suggest is at least waiting for it to dry a bit on the belly before putting on an outfit, because when you're in a rush, you get this uncomfortable sticky sensation between your stomach and your clothes, which could result in your tummy feeling extra itchy. Anyway, you're supposed to apply this twice a day, but I'm a lazy ass, so I apply this once a day, in the morning.

Verdict : So far, so good. No stretchmarks just yet, but we'll just have to wait and see. It doesn't really take the itchiness away, I have a friend who says it helps in that department, but I still get the urge to scratch every now and then. Not quite a big fan of the icky, oily texture though. I still have almost more than half a bottle to go, so one bottle will definitely last for more than 2 months. I foresee myself using this even after delivery (just because there's a lot left over!)

Rates: 3.5/5


The next contender, Pureen Stretch Mark Lotion:




This was recommended by a friend of Yasir who swears by the stuff. She claims that it is THE best stretch mark lotion, because she's tried all the expensive types and none of them are as good as this one. So of course I decided to try this, as soon as I found out I was preggers. I should mention that this lotion is fairly cheap too - I think around rm20-ish? Score!

Application: Same routine, straight out of the shower, on mildly damp skin. Supposedly twice a day, but I only apply this once. Some people love layering on the lotion thick because it's supposed to work better if you do, but I just slather on around 2 - 3 pumps of the stuff. It does sink into the skin a little bit, and definitely dries off faster than Bio Oil does. And you don't get that icky feeling when you put on your clothes after. Smells pretty nice too...a mild, soft smell, which Yasir says smells like 'baby'. That must be a good thing right?

Verdict: Not bad, not bad at all. Considering I stretched (pardon the pun) one bottle to last me up till my 7th month of pregnancy (some days I'd apply it, some days I forgot, that's why!) I am quite pleased with the results so far. Honestly, I would've just continued using this, if it weren't for that day when I freaked out because I thought the stretchmarks had already reared their ugly heads (false alarm) and figured I needed to use something more intense, so I bought Bio Oil. Should've just stuck with this - I still have my old bottle and scrape that poor little thing like nobody's business from time to time. Doesn't really make sense for me to own two stretch mark products, so I didn't want to waste money getting a new bottle (SEE I AM ECONOMICALLY SAVVY). Would I recommend this? Definitely.

Rates: 4/5

p/s: Just for the record, my cousin Sazzy says her friend Daphne Iking swears by Clarins Stretch mark lotion (she's stretchmark free).

sloppy kisses xxx

5 comments:

nadiya said...

Babe, for my itching I used pure aloe vera gel (fruit of the earth) and the itching went away next day! Plus its not oily n no smell so thts an advantage. Hope it helps ;)

AainaaRibena said...

thanks for the tip babes! btw, you're so quiet on facebook - have you 'popped' yet? I'm waiting with baited breath! hehe

Audrey said...

Amazing product I use is dermalmd serum..I have athlete strecthmarks violet ones.. this serum helped fade them so easy and quick

Zoe said...

for both good prices and quality I recommend the dermalmd serum..my obgyn prescribed it while I was pregnant and had no strecthmarks at all

beth mccarthy said...

STRETCH MARKS ARE AWFUL! I switched to the dermalmd serum and it was a revolution, it glides in the skin and smooths it stretch mark free..amazing